This programme is not available for enrolments.
Click here for course details on the new NZ Diploma in Software Development or the NZ Certificate in IT (L5).
The Diploma in Software Development is most suitable for those wanting to enter the IT industry with the intention of establishing a career in a programming or database development capacity.
Aided by strong learning in a number of applications as well as practical simulations in typical work force project teams, this qualification is the perfect spearhead into a fully fledged career in programming.
What will I learn?
The Diploma in Software Development will provide a thorough practical foundation on which to build a successful career in the area of database development and programming. This qualification will enable the graduate to work in areas such as database development, software development, programming analysis and design through its concentration in a range of programming languages.
Completion of the programme takes the following length of time (approximately):
- Full-time study only : up to 14 months
Based on 5 shifts/week on campus of approximately 5 hours/shift + 12.5 hours/week home study
Duration includes approximately 10 weeks of holidays and leave (annual & public holidays and allowance for sickness & unforeseen circumstances). Study schedules can also be tailored to meet your needs. Morning, afternoon and evening timetable options are available.
- Domestic Students: Weekly starts. Last month for enrolment is December 2016.
- International Students: Monthly starts.
Our Diploma in Software Development covers a wide range of material, including:
- Working with and customising Windows
- The Internet and e-commerce
- Microsoft software applications
- Designing and building a database
- Designing websites
- Program design concepts
- Programming concepts
- Unified modelling language
- C# using Visual Studio
- Structured query language
- Program design and maintenance methods
- Customer service
- Systems development practices
- Information systems analysis
- Group development project
- Project management
- Professional development program
- Employment preparation and planning
Students will choose to major in one of the following two electives:
- Java programming; or
- C# using Visual Studio
Major Qualification Goals
Upon completion of this IT qualification, students will be able to:
- Use common word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Code a well-structured solution to a problem in a variety of programming languages.
- Document, code and debug computer programs using various programming languages.
- Analyse client requirements and design, develop, code and evaluate the appropriate business solution.
- Demonstrate communication, problem solving, time management, goal setting, planning and customer relation skills.
This qualification offers training towards these highly sought after internationally recognised IT certifications:
- CompTIA: Project+
- Microsoft: Essentials of Developing Windows Store Apps Using C#, Microsoft Programming in C#
- Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 7 Programmer
- Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 7 Programmer
What do I need to start?
- All Students: To gain entry to the qualification, applicants must undertake Computer Power Plus's Internal Aptitude (Entrance) Test and meet the required score level relevant to the qualification.
- International Students Only: An additional English language requirement must also be met - IELTS 5.5 (with no band less than 5.0) or equivalent. Testing must have taken place with two years of qualification commencement. Students may be exempt from IELTS requirements if they can provide clear evidence that satisfies one of NZQA’s criteria for existing English proficiency. <See NZQA website for more details. (Note: CPP is a category 2 provider)
This qualification can complement your existing skills and qualifications or provide further opportunities in your current role. It can also prepare you for a number of career opportunities including:
- Software Developer
- Database Developer
Future Career Possibilities
- Programming Specialist
- e-Commerce Specialist
- Analyst Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Contract Manager
- IT Manager
Programme Fees Guide
Fees include all campus based learning guides, texts, and access to resources, except
vendor certificate exams.
Domestic Student Fees:
$9,180 + $500 enrolment fee
If you plan to pay your fees by Student Loan and/or apply for a Student Allowance, you need to apply online at www.studylink.govt.nz
and clicking on their APPLY NOW link. The application will work out what you are entitled to and will allow you to apply.
International Student Fees:
NZ $16,852 + $500 enrolment fee (GST inclusive)